The Tempur-Cloud Elite is the second softest and second most expensive mattress in the entire Tempur-Pedic line (the Luxe is the softest). It is a pretty popular model, so I was excited to take a look at it and see how it compares to other Tempur-Pedic mattresses.
The Tempur-Cloud Elite has a removable and washable cover, similar to other Tempur-Pedic models. The “comfort” part of the mattress is 4.5 inches thick. This is comprised of a 2.25 inch layer of TEMPUR-ES material (ES means extra soft) and then another 2.25 inch layer of TEMPUR material. There is then a base layer 8 inches thick. Having a comfort layer this thick and with that much extra soft material means the feel is going to be quite soft.
The company does not disclose the specs or densities of its materials, perhaps so they aren’t knocked off by competitors so easily. I do have an approach to make an educated guess as to how durable the materials are. The Cloud Elite is 12.5” thick and a Queen weighs 110 lbs. The Loom & Leaf mattress is 12” thick and weighs 93 lbs. That mattress uses good, durable materials. Given that the Cloud Elite is about the same thickness and weighs 17 lbs. more, it is pretty safe to assume that the mattress has really durable, dense materials.
The company explicitly states the firmness level of its mattresses. In this case, the mattress is the second softest in the entire Tempur-Pedic line. From the construction and the thickness of the comfort layer, it is pretty clear it is a very soft mattress.
You Might Want To Pick This Mattress If:
- You Sleep On Your Side– Given how soft the mattress is and how thick the comfort layers are, this mattress is best suited for side sleepers.
- You Are Lighter In Weight– The mattress will probably feel too soft for heavier people, but there is a better chance it will be the right firmness for you if you are lighter in weight.
- You Are Looking For A Memory Foam, Sinking In Feel– With this mattress, you sink a good bit and feel you are sleeping “in” the mattress. If you like the memory foam feeling of being enveloped by your mattress, this might be a good choice.
- Pressure Relief Is Your Top Priority– The name of the game with this mattress is pressure relief given how soft it is.
You Might Not Want To Pick This Mattress If:
- You Sleep Mainly On Your Back Or Stomach– This mattress is probably too soft for most people who sleep mainly on their back or stomach.
- You Are Heavier In Weight– Given that the mattress is designed to be very soft, if you are heavier you will probably think the mattress is even softer than the average person.
- Support Is A Bigger Priority Than Pressure Relief– The comfort layers are pretty thick, so you will get more pressure relief than support in general. If you want more support, then you should potentially look at some other models.
Most Common Pieces Of Praise
- People love how soft/pressure-relieving the mattress is
- Lots of people wake up less with aches and pains
Most Common Complaints
- While lots of people like the mattress, many people mention how expensive they think the mattress is
- Other complaints were the common Tempur-Pedic ones across all models, such as having an initial chemical smell and a few people having heat issues
Why Would Someone Pick This Model Over The Other Tempur-Pedic Mattresses?
If you are a side sleeper but don’t want a mattress on the full extreme end of softness, this could be a good choice for you. People lighter in weight might do well with this mattress as well.
The mattress can be a good choice for the right type of sleeper. It is a bit expensive, but it should last you a very long time, so the value is probably higher than you think.
Make sure to check out our overall thoughts on Tempur-Pedic.